Wes and I went out with a bunch of his colleagues last night, many of whom were hearing for the first time that we're expecting. People seem real excited for us -- especially those who heard me talk previously about wanting to start a family -- and tickled by the idea of Wes becoming a father. One great thing I've found about finally telling people is that I now have veteran parents whom I can poll for advice on baby purchases. There's so much stuff out there, and while Wes and I are both pretty anti-stuff, there are some basic necessities plus the kinds of things that make life easier that we'll be purchasing between now and September. Right now I'm searching online, reading product reviews, making lists. We'll wait a bit before going out to see and try anything out in person before buying, but I'm a planner and well, I don't mind this bit either. So here's my request. If you ever read this blog (since I'm finding every day that there are a lot of old friends lurking), have a kid, and have an opinion on any of the following items, please email me or post a comment with your endorsements.
1. Stroller. What we need: one stroller that can accomodate an infant through toddler, handle the wear and tear of city living and walks along the lakefront, push comfortably for people who are 5' 4" and 5' 11", and ideally, not cost more than 2 months worth of a car payment (read: I love the Bugaboo, too, but is it really worth it). What we don't want: a crappy piece of plastic that won't survive the wind or snow or sidewalks, even if it is cheap, or a "travel system" since we don't have a car.
2. Cloth Diapers. What we need to know: which brand to go with. There are a lot out there, and I think I prefer the pocket diapers. FuzziBunz and BumGenius seem to be my top two picks, and while I like the idea of a "one size" purchase with BumGenius, I'm also skeptical that is can really fit a child in that age and weight range.
3. Bouncy seat or swing. What we need to know: one, both, neither? We don't have a big space here, folks.
4. Sling or carrier. What we need to know: one, both? And for the carrier, has anyone tried the Ergo Baby Carrier?
5. Co-sleeper. What we wonder: All the older moms and dads warn against the baby sleeping in the room, but lots of younger ones, especially working moms, seem to like the convenience for a few months to help with nursing. I know the product that's most popular, but lots of people say, "The baby just ended up with us anyway." Any experiences out there?
I know there's tons of opinions and reviews online, and I'm finding them, but it's nice to have suggestions from people whom we know and who know us.
5 comments:
First, don't buy a monitor. I have one that I'll send to you. Works great and only used for one kid.
Stroller? Up to you, and I am aware of how unhelpful that is. However, what fits your friends in terms of lifestyle might not be the best for you. You need one that folds easy for you and is light for ease of carrying up steps. That can only be tested by visiting a baby store and trying them all. Lots of people like the ones with cup holders, snack holders, and a place for your keys, but I just found all that to be a place where gross, crunched up crackers got stuck. See why I say what I did at the beginning.
As for a swing v. bouncy seat, go for the bouncy seat. There are so many babies that don't like the swing. I haven't heard of many babes who dislike a bouncy seat.
I tried one sling and hated it with a deep passion. The Baby Bjorn worked for both Phill and me. I know there are ones out there now that can convert into a front or back carrier. That would be ideal.
Hey, Its Sharon, I'm reading. Brad recently told Wes I've been reading.
Here is my opinion on your needed stuffs..
1) Stroller- Buggaboo-super expensive but for raising the kid in the city..Super perfect..
My personal fav is the Peg Perago Pliko P3..We've had ours for 3 yrs and is still going strong, it retails for about 300 dollars and is fabulous. But if you dont have a car I say go for the 600 dollar stroller :)_
2) Cloth Diapers, I say pockets are the way to go-- Many of my friends LOVE bumgenius over fuzi bunz.. We did not cloth diaper b/c we did not own a washer and a dryer when Julia was born.. when we moved and bought a house, she was potty trained..
3) I'd say Nay on both,but one of the two would be good. Probably the small fisher price papasan chair..The swing was useless for us, and so was the bouncy--but that is because Julia loved;=/loves me so much
4)Slings..something I know a TON about. AND YES we have an Ergo, and it is fabulous. Great for hiking, and has an infant insert as well. Julia slept in it during a 6 mile hike last year in the Smokies, she was about 26 pds then. Mei Tais are also great carriers, check out www.babywearer.com --such a great resource. We have a baby hawk mei tai. LOVE IT. We really did not like the any ring sling, But the two I've mentioned are favorites among my mama friends.
5) Cosleeper.. most of the time, they aren't that useful, We did not have one, we actually attached the crib to the bed when she was a bit older,but that held laundry.. Julia is in bed with us, and for the most part it was planned. But we purchased a crib because my parent made us, we still don't use it. A good 1000K down the drain :)
6) I will add, if you are going back to work and you plan on nursing- get a GOOD pump, if you need tips on that let me know..
IF you need anything else let me know, I see you have a midwive.. Awesome.. You should check out the movie/documentry--the Business of being born.. Phenomenal!
Thanks for the suggestions. Sharon, I'm sorry you and Brad didn't get more direct information. I left the Davidson gang up to Wes, since the connections are through him, and he rather slacked in his duties. Maybe with boys it doesn't matter, though!
I do plan to pump -- working part time, so not a ton, but still -- so suggestions on that or anything else you love, love, love is welcome.
Hmm.. Pumping for part time will be sooo easy!!! I pumped for Julia when she was 9 months while I was student teaching. I had a Medela Pump In Style Advaced.. it was PERFECT! But for a less expensive route you could probably use the Medela Swing, which is a one sided pump, rather than a double. Some of my new mama friends have that, plus many people really would like one hand free when they pump.
You probably do not need a car seat but would probably want one, for traveling purposes. For infant seats, the Graco safe seat is great, and for bigger one. Britax all the way. We have a britax in my car and Julia is only a wee 32 pds so she'll be in it for a while.
Umm not sure of the other things.. We didn't really have much b/c we didn't really need that much --no need for a monitor b/c she was always with us!!! :)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I had been looking at -- botht he car seat and the pump. So many good suggestions, Sharon! I think we'll be able to skip a monitor, too, only because our place is so small! There's no way to be anywhere in this apartment and not hear people in any other room. Ah, expensive city living.
Post a Comment