Saturday, March 15, 2008

Maternity Clothes Everywhere!

I have a problem. I have a gut. Not a baby belly. Not a nice little rounding of the front of my abdomen. I have a gut. I don't need maternity clothes, per se. My pants manage to stay on. It's just that the top of my pants periodically migrates south to below the gut, and since not all my shirts are extra-long, that leaves some belly exposed -- and man, it's still cold here.

So today I went out looking for something to address this issue. I went to to Gap, knowing they carried both regular and maternity clothes (and let's be honest, I wanted to look at baby clothes -- well, at least for the first time since I actually got pregnant -- but per the agreement with Wes, did not buy anything). But before I even made it to the maternity-back-of-the-store-in-the-basement area, I found out something lovely: practically every shirt Gap has made this year is a maternity shirt. It has a few buttons on top and an enormous waist area. I actually tried on one of the shirts with the baby belly available in the maternity dressing room, and it still fit!

I haven't addressed the pants issue. I figure the longer I can stay in regular pants -- even with that tube stocking thing on when it becomes absolutely necessary -- the longer I can wait to buy pants, which means we could probably get up to, hey, the 50s or 60s outside, thereby avoiding "winter pants" in maternity sizes. For now, we'll just try to disguise it in enormous shirts (but cute prints) that all the normal-size gals are wearing, too.

No comments: