The building that Wes and I live in is pretty soundproof. The building is cement, so we rarely get noise from other floors, and on our own floor, the only noise we get is what we hear through the front door. Since our bedroom is at the back of the apartment, we usually don't hear anything once we go to bed at night. But for the past few months we've noticed a strange phenomenon. There's some kind of warp in the wall to one of our neighbor's apartments. There are no shared vents or anything, so I'm not sure how we hear this so well. And we only hear it late at night or early morning when the rest of the building is really quiet. Occassionally we hear a person talking, but usually nothing else.
Last night as we were falling asleep, I noticed the sound of a baby fussing. Then, when I woke up this morning around 6am, I heard it again and then later heard some cooing. It sounded like a baby that was a few months old, but not too old. We couldn't hear parents, just the baby. It was funny lying there in bed hearing this. It was like, "Wait. I can't feel the baby move yet, but I can hear it!"
It's moments like these that I've tried to enjoy. Soon, that will be us -- but not yet. For now, we get to stay comfortably in bed while someone else takes care of their baby. There was something terribly heartwarming, though, snuggled up next to my husband in the wee hours of the morning, listening to our future.
No comments:
Post a Comment