Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shock and awe

It happened.  Emme slept through the night.  And not once, but twice.  On Wednesday evening, after getting her shots at her four-month checkup, she had a really hard time going to sleep.  I put her down once and let her fuss, but it turned to wails and I went and got her.  I tried a second time with similar results, and at this point, she was screaming with little consolation.  She wasn't especially hot to make me think she had a fever, but she seemed very uncomfortable (which happened after her two-month shots also), so I gave her a dose of Tylenol.  She more or less passed out 15 minutes later, and I put her down in her crib just before 9:30.  When I woke up a little after 5am, I realized she hadn't been up.  And she didn't get up until her normal waking time around 6:30am.  I was amazed but realized that she was probably extra tired from the shots, the Tylenol, and the screaming that led to sleep.

The next night she got up around 1:30am, but that was it.

And then last night, after finally getting her down in her crib around 9:00pm, she again slept through the night.  She was up at 5:45am, but I nursed her back in my bed, gave her a pacifier when she got fussy, and she went back to sleep until after 8:00.

I don't know if this is a permanent shift, but even if it become some "one-up" nights and some like these, it's an improvement on where we've been.  The later bedtime makes it hard to get work done in the evening, but that will soon not be an issue.  It took me until eight months to get Ollie to sleep through the night, and it didn't become the norm until almost ten months (when, I sense, he knew that either he had to start on his own or momma was going to make him).  Here's hoping the trend continues.

1 comment:

Kimberly O'Connor said...

YEA!!!! Here's hoping for many nights like this one.