Friday, May 13, 2011

All about Emme

Emme is 4 months old today (which means I need to get a picture -- this is from Sunday), and I can hardly believe it.  I'm not a mom who tells new parents "They grow up so fast!" because honestly, with Ollie, while I wish I could go back and revisit certain points along the way, it feels like just about right.  Here's been here 2 1/2 years or so, and it feels like it.  With Emme, though, things have been so busy that while I can believe she's four months, it just sounds so old, and I hate to believe that we've flown through so many fun weeks.

The good news for me, though, is that she's more fun than ever.  She was a truly adorable newborn, though fussy, but now she's a lot more sociable and happy, and still cute as ever (I mean, did you ever see such a smile!).  I finally feel like I'm starting to get a sense of her personality, which is nice.  She is a very social child.  She's much happier when she's in the stroller riding like a big girl than in her car seat because strapped into the stroller itself, she can see a lot more.  We went to the grocery store this afternoon, and I left her in her car seat in the basket of the cart but turned her away from me, and she was totally happy whereas normally she's super fussy in the store.  I really think she just likes to see what's going on and look at people's faces.  Unless she's sleepy or hungry, a big smile at her will get a big smile back.  She has a bit of a giggle, though not a clear laugh.  And now that she can roll and squirm in circles, she's constantly on the move to be able to see what's going on in the living room.  She'll even try to turn her head to see the television, I guess trying to figure out what we're looking at.

She's getting much, much better at falling asleep on her own.  Her naps and stretches of sleep at night could be longer, and she sometimes fusses in the midst, but it's unbelievably easier to get her down in her crib at night than it used to be.  Last night I tried doing a "dream feed," getting her out of crib when I was going to bed but hopefully without waking her too much, so that I got a longer stretch.  It kind of work.  I nursed her around 10:30 and she wasn't up until almost 2:30.  Unfortunately, she didn't want to go down after that, and after three trips upstairs, she did end up back in bed with me until after 7am.  The two nights before that were all in her crib, though, which is good.  She's still eating well, but she's still a little peanut.  I'm curious to see what she weighs and measures next Wednesday at the pediatrician's office.  I think her skin is more fair and her hair color lighter than when she was born, but her eyes are still a lovely gray-blue.  Not a vibrant as Oliver's, but still lovely.  She really likes to be outside (good for me, since the older one does, too), and she's also enjoying the Exersaucer, though her feet don't reach the bottom yet.  She grabs on hard to almost anything, and sometimes I think it helps soothe her to have something to hold.

So basically, I've been blessed with another wonderful (but different) kid.  She's fun, she's cute, she's cuddly (hurray!), and she seems to be as in love with all three of her (human) family members as we are with her.

No comments: