Wednesday, January 7, 2009

On lactation

I am proud of the fact that I am taking the time and making the effort to breastfeed, and I plan to do so for as long as it's reasonable. But I have to say, nursing, though it at times makes me feel bonded with my baby, very often makes me feel like other things. Many a woman has made the comparison between the electric breast pump I use each day and those used on dairy farms. This comparison is particularly true when you use, as I do, a hands-free device (Have you ever washed dishes while expressing milk?).

Last night, as I lay in bed nursing Oliver for the umpteenth time, drifting off with my breast still hanging out, I sensed another comparison. These marathon midnight sessions, rare though they are, make me feel less like an all-you-can-eat buffet (after all, there's only one item on the menu) and more like a free-refills soda station. If you just sit there all day with your 99 cent paper cup, you can have a little more, and a little more, and a little more...

2 comments:

Laura Cook said...

Are you in training for the south already? You called it a "99 cent" cup...singular "cent"! Watch out Tennessee (begin Deliverance music)here comes the Selfs!

Unknown said...

I'm stunned. It sounded right. In fact, "99 cents paper cup" still sounds weird. Heaven help me, I'm already losing my English!