Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sick

It's hard to tell from looking at him, but Oliver is officially sick for the first time. He has what Wes believes is the croup, but at the very least is a nasty cold. He has a mid-grade fever, a runny nose, and a nasty barking cough that is classic of the croup. He's been in pretty good spirits all things considered, but he's obviously uncomfortable and cries when I try and clean out his nose. His appetite is somewhat diminished, and he's pretty tired. Fortunately he's done okay at night.

For now we're listening to make sure his breathing doesn't speed up and he doesn't develop a stridor -- two indicators that he needs to see a doctor. Wes is working all weekend this weekend, so it's me and Ollie hanging out and trying to stay warm -- sometimes hard to do when I have to take the dog out (though one website said that those brief outings can help with any swelling in his airways). His cough is the worst -- just so hacking, and I don't know what to do for it. We don't have a humidifier, but we do put him in his carseat in the bathroom when we shower and let him nap in the carseat as it helps to keep him upright.

Thankfully I have a long weekend this weekend, so I can be with him and monitor how he's doing. If he's still nasty by Wednesday, Wes and I will split the workday so that our sitter doesn't expose her son to him. For now, lots of hugs and cuddles and Kleenex!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Helen is prone to coughing, especially at night. We've found that the humidifier is key to keeping the coughing under control; we crank it up at nap time, too. It helps that the contraption looks like a really cute frog (yay Target).