Thursday, January 29, 2009

His Highness' High Chair

Oliver's high chair came in the mail yesterday, and he's now a man on the ready for rice cereal. We have the cereal mix, some little bowls, the spoons that change color if they're too hot for a baby's mouth, and now a chair with a plastic cushion. The only thing is, I don't think we're ready for the cereal. Wes and I keep waffling about whether or not to go ahead and start him. He's only 4 1/2 months, and a lot of pediatriciacians recommend to wait until the full 6 months if the baby seems satisfied on just breast milk. How to know if he's satisfied is another question. I kept track of his eating for a day or two, and he's eating a 7 oz. bottle or nursing for 30-40 minutes every 3-4 hours. This includes at night. The long stretches of sleep we enjoyed over Christmas -- six or seven hours on more than one occasion, followed by another four or five -- are gone. The slate got wiped clean when he was sick and I was constantly up and down. Now we're back to eating every 3 hours, which is leaving me really tired by the end of the week. I have learned to let him settle himself in some situations. If it's only been an hour or two and I hear him up, I wait to see if the fussing becomes more insistent and plaintive, and usually it doesn't and he just drifts back off.

For now, I'm happy that we're all 98% healthy in the house (not including the dog, who's been vomiting around the apartment today...) -- just some stuffy noses here and there, thanks to the permanently sub-20 degree weather in our Chicago winter.

The cereal will come. It may not make him sleep any longer at night, but it will be fun to see.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: