Monday, January 19, 2009

Crib notes

I took down the co-sleeper today. I know that when Wes comes home, he will comment on it. It is, like everything else in Oliver's life, something a little sad and also exciting. Oliver is sleeping in his crib full time now. I waited to take down the co-sleeper until he'd been in there for a full week, with no early morning sneaking back into our room. And even though he's sick, Oliver's stayed either in his crib or in bed with me, sitting up, for the full week now, so away went the co-sleeper, banished to its carrying case under the crib (no fung shui for Ollie). It was just in the way at this point, giving me a place to put my sweatshirt and slippers and the book I'm reading and making it hard to get in and out of bed on that side.

While it's great that Oliver is in the crib -- I am, with the exception of the last few nights, getting a bit more sleep as a consequence, it is also another indicator that our "little guy" is getting older. He's still a baby, no mistake about that, but he's growing up, if in small ways. Many people keep their kids in their room for up to a year, but that wasn't the choice we made, and we're okay with that. Our apartment is only so big, and I can still hear him coo and fuss and, when congested enough, even breathe.

Nobody tells you that the growing pains people talk about aren't for the kid but the parents.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: