Sunday, May 9, 2010

The toddler and the tricycle

Yesterday, Oliver got his first bike -- a tricycle in this case. It's supposed to fit a kid from 18 months to 3 years, and fortunately it comes pre-assembled so that I was able to put him on it and make sure his feet reached the pedals before I brought it home. I did have issues bringing home a different trike that I thought was the same size but, once completely assembled, was too big, but we finally got it worked out.
Ollie certainly isn't biking down the street yet, but he does love the bike and likes to get on it in practice. I'll his feet on the pedal and show him how to do it or let him put his feet on the pedals while I push a little bit. When left on his own, he knows where to put his feet and try to pedal, but he doesn't have either the power in his legs or the coordination to get things going yet. He usually only wants to be on it for fifteen minutes or so, but he likes to go at it a few times a day. His favorite part of all, of course, is his helmet ("hat?").

No comments: