
Oliver and I went to the Nashville Zoo today with a friend of mine, Rachel. This was our first trip, and while I wasn't sure what to expect, I knew the zoo wasn't a terribly big one. I had been hesitant to go before because admission to the zoo is expensive -- almost $15 for an adult and about half that for a child. But we recently go a flyer in the mail to get a little bit off a family membership, which is about the cost of two visits, so I got it and figured Oliver and I could go frequently this summer. It's a nice open place where he can run and play, and we can go for just a little while and see what we want to or what's easy to see. The weather today was great -- around 70 degrees and sunny. The zoo suffered minimal damage with the floods last weekend and were only closed on Monday. The layout of the park is nice, with densely grown woods around the walking paths and plenty of picnic tables and bathrooms.

Oliver's favorite things were the chickens in the Historic Farms area (the rooster kept crowing), the Lorikeet Landing area where he was in with the birds, and the giraffes, because they were close by and easy to see (unlike the elephants). He also liked the petting zoo, where he chased around baby goats in order to pet them. Two handlers were out in another area, and Oliver got to pet an African hedgehog. He was pretty interested in the animals, especially those he could easily pick out (although all of them were a "dog"), but he was equally interested in other small kids there. He rode in the stroller some and did lot of running around. We saw most of the major outdoor exhibits but there's plenty more to see when we go back.

We did get a ride on the carousel before we left. There's also a huge Jungle Gym, 66,000 square foot play area for kids, there, but Ollie was getting worn out so we saved it for another day. We'll go again sometime just to play on that, I think!
2 comments:
I need to hit the zoo!
Reece loves the zoo. What fun to take the cousins together sometime. I will put it on the granma's 'to do' list for future visits!
Post a Comment