Thursday, February 21, 2008

Does this baby make me look fat?

I have a belly. I don’t know how it got there or when, but I have a belly. I don’t look pregnant, I don’t think. I just look fat. In fact, several of my colleagues who know about the pregnancy have approached me recently to confirm my due date and ask if I’m showing – because they think I am. Just a few days ago, I looked in the mirror and thought, “Not much change here.” But today, there’s a belly. When and how do these things happen? I just suffered probably the worst 72 hours of nausea I’ve had all pregnancy, eating very little, but now I have a belly. I’m happy to have it, of course. Having bounced around with my weight all my life, I’m not real concerned about the weight gain aspect of pregnancy. It must and will come off afterwards, slowly I’m sure, with diet and exercise. Why is it that despite so many books and so many friends and family who go through the same thing, each new part of pregnancy is somehow wonderfully surprising?

No comments: