Oliver's third year of life, as a two-year-old, was the year of what. "What is that?" "What are you doing, mommy?" (over and over again). Or in response to a question that he didn't know the answer to, simply "What?"
Yesterday, for the very first time, when I told Oliver to do something (you know, something really crazy like wash his hands after peeing), he responded, "Why?" as he did to several other directives over the course of the day. It seems that his next year of life, as a three-year-old, will be the year of why. And yes, I've already said, at least once, "Because I said so." Which of course wasn't the real reason why, but sometimes explaining the real reason why just takes too long. Or is too complicated to explain. Wes attempted to give a real answer to a "Why? yesterday, perhaps the hand washing "Why?", and inevitably it turned into an explanation of bacteria and gastrointestinal parasites and I don't even know what. It's fair to assume that if I didn't understand the answer, Oliver didn't either. But he did eventually wash his hands, so I might have to brush up on my "how the world works" talks in order to survive Oliver at three.
Yesterday, for the very first time, when I told Oliver to do something (you know, something really crazy like wash his hands after peeing), he responded, "Why?" as he did to several other directives over the course of the day. It seems that his next year of life, as a three-year-old, will be the year of why. And yes, I've already said, at least once, "Because I said so." Which of course wasn't the real reason why, but sometimes explaining the real reason why just takes too long. Or is too complicated to explain. Wes attempted to give a real answer to a "Why? yesterday, perhaps the hand washing "Why?", and inevitably it turned into an explanation of bacteria and gastrointestinal parasites and I don't even know what. It's fair to assume that if I didn't understand the answer, Oliver didn't either. But he did eventually wash his hands, so I might have to brush up on my "how the world works" talks in order to survive Oliver at three.
No comments:
Post a Comment