Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bugged out

Everyone finally seems to be bug free at our house.  Wes got the bug late Monday night, and he and I spent most of Tuesday home on the couch while the kids were at daycare.  When I went to pick them up early that afternoon, I learned that Emme had been tired and fussy all day, just not herself, and had recently spit up and was running a low fever.  By the time we got her home she was burning up, and after some Tylenol, she slept 4:30-8, and then 9pm-6am.  She stayed home from daycare Wednesday and Thursday, with the help of a babysitter on Wednesday and Grandma Kay on Thursday afternoon, so that I could go to class and teach class, respectively.  She had a persistent fever on Wednesday, helped only with Tylenol, and refused any baby food.  On Thursday, the fever was gone, but she was still clearly uncomfortable and only started to take a little baby food in the afternoon.  She was pretty sad the whole time.  If I put her down, she either cried to be picked up or just sat on the floor looking around, zapped of any energy to crawl.  She snuggled happily and pretty much wanted to be with me all day -- clearly a sign she wasn't feeling well!  I wasn't sure if I would send her Friday, but after it took me five minutes to get her diapered and dressed in the morning (owing to the fact that she wouldn't lie still) and she did a lot of smiling and cooing, I decided to send her on so that I could finally get some schoolwork done.  She made it through the day fine, though she was clearly worn out afterwards.  She has had several nasty poops since then -- not clear if they are simply a return to breast milk poop since she refused baby food for so long or a sign that the bug is still there a little bit.  She also has a pretty nasty rash all over, though the worst on her diaper area, but Wes says it's just an after effect of the fever.  I'm hoping it clears up in the next day as it looks kind of uncomfortable.

We have done lots of laundry this week.  I've also made sure that all the hand soap in the bathrooms is antibacterial.  I still need to Clorox doorknobs and wipe down some toys, but otherwise, we've hopefully staved off a return of this thing.  With the temperatures being up and down like they have in the last week, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone is sick with a respiratory infection or some such thing, but I'm hoping we can all get a little rest and relaxation before that happens.

No comments: