Friday, February 13, 2009

Sadness is...

realizing you can't move 50 bags of frozen breast milk. Should I just stop storing now so as not to waste the bags or toss the frozen milk now and just always use recently-pumped milk? I've been trying to use some frozen milk each week because it's reaching the point of expiring, and I figured I could use the old milk, store the fresh, and then none of it will go to waste. My thought process was that, when I was ready to wean, we could then just use up the frozen supply as I dry up, thus letting me wean a little earlier while he still gets breastmilk.

And I guess all of this is kind of goofy since, at least right now, it seems my body has no problem supplying as much as he needs. Part of me is tempted to just wean in early June and use up the frozen milk until we move. That would get him to 9 months. If I teach again in the fall, I'll be back to work in August, and I'd prefer to not have to keep pumping at a new job, and that would get me to 10-11 months. I don't know why I'm obsessed with the one year goal. From what I've read, the difference between 9 months and a year is some defense against things like asthma, colitis, diabetes, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean that if I don't nurse to a year he'll get these things. I just figured if I've gone to all this effort to nurse, I should maximize the benefits (and minimize the cost of using formula).

Ah, decisions, decision...

5 comments:

Lauren said...

No matter what you decide, I think you can rest assured that O's received the benefits of breastfeeding. :) Helen nursed for almost 17 months, but Huck is practically weaned at 8--different kids, different needs, I guess.

Have you thought about shipping the stored bags, or even taking them with you on the plane? Have you read this?...
http://worklifeunbalanced.blogspot.com/2008/06/shipping-breastmilk.html

Unknown said...

That's really helpful, Lauren. If we're still nursing come June (and honestly, it's so easy at this point I think we will be unless he opts out himself), I might do this.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered donating your milk? National Milk Bank screens you by doing some quick blood work and a DNA test (at no cost, at your home). They'll ship a cooler to you, including bags and all. I was faced with a similar situation and thrilled to be able to give it to someone in need. Just another option!

Unknown said...

Another great option -- and one I didn't know about. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

This is not sadness. This is your little boy growing up, moving on, just like one would hope he would do. Children are a true blessing, but not one that is stagnant but a moving, growing blessing. Enjoy each age to the fullest, document each accomplishment and stage met and be happy that he becomes a man some day. Not something that you want to think about right now, but true.