Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Poop

You know you're really a mom when you're looking up "infant stool" on Google and comparing what you found in the last diaper to a chart of baby poop. Oliver has had two bad nights of sleep now. He goes down like normal, and then after around midnight or 1am, he's up constantly, sometimes screaming and inconsolable -- not at all normal for him. There's no fever, and I can't feel any movement with teeth. But (no pun intended), until this evening, he hadn't had a bowel movement for about two days. I know babies start to spread out their bowel movements, but what I was seeing in the diaper was pretty different -- formed, almost like adult stool. When he had another, similar diaper tonight, I started Googling. Sure enough, it matched the picture of "constipation" on one of the charts I found. Whether this is in fact what's causing the night colic, I'm not sure. Babies seem to be such a guessing game. Without knowing for sure, I took some steps to help things along -- prunes for dinner and plenty of nursing to get the fluids in.

Wow, I just wrote an entire posting on baby poop.

No comments: