I have been thinking a lot over the past several months about motherhood and the industry that surrounds pregnancy and new mothers. There seems to be a whole world out there, from maternity care to breastfeeding to all the products that are thrust at new moms as needs. I haven't posted a lot about it because I'm always hesitant to coming across as judgmental of others' choices or a know-it-all who doesn't even have a kid yet. But I'll post today on two items I find...confusing.
1. There's a new Luvs commercial out that alludes to Woodstock and the peace-loving 60's. Little cartoon babies in diapers carry picket signs that demand leak-proof diapers at affordable prices. Does it seem strange to anyone other than me that a disposable diaper company would employ a back-to-the-earth, hippie reference point to sell their product?
2. I had a 3d/4d ultrasound done while my family was in town -- nothing Wes and I would have done on our own, but certainly fun to share with family, especially some who probably won't see the baby until several months after delivery. Afterwards, I was given a "breastfeeding support pack" -- a cheapo diaper bag from Similac filled with samples of and coupons for formula. Again, no judgment on those who don't breastfeed or who supplement with formula, but doesn't it seem like a horrible misnomer to call this breastfeeding support?
Help me out here. Is it just advertising, and I'm being overly sensitive, or does it just seem like we're really warping reality in order to sell these products?
4 comments:
The first one, yes.
The second one, I won't answer as one of my closest friends is married to an Abbott Nutrionals guy. Oh, I'll answer. Yes, the gift of the diaper bag leads to the sabotage of many a woman to breast feeding. Formula, although it adds a significant cost, is easier to some. The mom can leave the baby with grandmom and any other caregiver without worry about food. For many women, the first few tries at breast feeding are painful (aren't I being helpful), leading to cracked nipples and blood. What would be better would be a gift of a nipple shield (don't let anyone tell you they are evil), a hand pump, and some breast milk storage bottles. That's more of a support package. Yeah, the company could also put in some coupons in a book with phone numbers of support groups in the area. It's not expensive to do.
Please don't confuse the hippie, flower children of the 60's with the environmental movement. The hippies of the 60's wanted whatever felt good, was convenient and went against the establishment. The disposable diaper fits them perfectly. Many of that generation may have claimed to want a natural high, but usually their 'high' drug-enduced and nothing close to reality. I'll get off my soap box now.
Perhaps I'm conflating the hippies and the lets go live on a commune and grow our own food group, the latter of which seems like it would eschew disposable diapers.
I agree with you about what could go in the bag, Sarabeth. Or all I'm asking is that they don't call it a breastfeeding support kit. Call it a new mom bag or something.
welcome to the wonderfuk world of parenthood.. its a whole nother world out there..honestly..
Post a Comment