Today we took an important step towards readying ourselves for baby in the material sense -- we bought the crib and changing station, a mattress, mattress pad, and covers for the changing station mattress. It won't all be delivered for another week or two, in time for us to empty out the office and possibly paint the walls. We were going to get the rocking chair and rug this month, too, but it'll wait until next month and some extra summer school pay. We're buying the big stuff first, assuming that the baby shower in late July is more likely to yield very-needed diapers, blankets, and -- oh, yes -- more baby clothes (no newborn, please!) than, as my father would call them, "big ticket items."
It's not so much spending the money as it is ordering a whole piece of furniture that is cementing the reality that baby is coming, and sooner than later (though three months, fewer than 100 days --did you see?! -- still seems like a while off). It makes me nervous, too. Like now that we've bought something we can't hide in back of the storage locker, something will inevitably go wrong. I keep looking at my belly and saying, "Okay, this means you've really got to show up in September. No turning back now." For us, either, I suppose.
On the flip side of the "getting ready" checklist, I also pre-registered at the hospital. How this makes the checking in process any easier I'm not sure since all I did was give them my medical record number and the names of my midwife and pediatrician (whom we won't meet until the baby is born). But it's a small, maneagable step towards having all the items checked off between now and September, when -- and hopefully not before -- we will meet the owner of this fabulous new crib set.
No comments:
Post a Comment