My 28-week appointment yesterday was largely and happily uneventful. I dutifully drank my orange-flavored sugar water (like flat Orange Slice from my childhood) on an empty stomach for my 1-hour glucose-tolerance test, which I will get the results from later this week. I also got tested for Hepatitis C so I can use the birthing tub at the hospital during delivery (I guess they assume I'm not engaging in the various activities linked to Hep C transmission during pregnancy). This midwife, like all the others, seemed really nice and very supportive of whatever decisions we make about the delivery. I have to start going to the office every two weeks now, which seems insane, but fine, I guess. My blood pressure is now back to the normal range for a non-pregnant me, and my weight is still holding steady. From my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm about +1 -- which probably says more about my pre-pregnancy weight than any strict diet and exercise regime during pregnancy. Most importantly, the baby is measuring right on schedule, his heart rate is in the 150s/160s, and he even kicked the Doppler monitor several times while we listened.
The only real problem I encountered was some unexplained bleeding after having my blood drawn. They took 2 vials of blood for the tests (which also included an anemia check, I think). My veins are really easy to stick, and I'm not woozy about the process so long as I don't watch it happen. The nurse put some gauze and a bandage over the stick spot after she was done, and I went to the front desk to schedule a follow-up appointment. While I was standing there, I noticed that my arm felt wet. When I looked down, my forearm was covered in blood. The nurse cleaned me up and tried again, but the process repeated and I had to go back for a third gauze pad and bandage -- which fortunately finally held. Unfortunately, I got blood on my shorts and the floor of the office and felt like an idiot for bleeding everywhere, but everyone was really nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment