Thursday, January 17, 2008

Secrets

All is well with Alf. I am still virtually symptom-free, save for some nausea yesterday. The funny thing is that I’ve probably had a calmer digestive system since I’ve been pregnant than I did before. There’s still time for that to change, but the book says if you don’t have morning sickness by week 8, you probably won’t get it for the duration of the pregnancy. Lucky me!

Keeping the secret of this pregnancy is both hard and fun. I like that Wes and I are the keepers of this special knowledge. I found this cute t-shirt at Urban Outfitters the other day (a great source for reprinted vintage shirts, I might add). It’s an old Care Bears t-shirts, and it’s Secret Bear. Across the top it says, Secret, and on the bottom is says, “Can you keep a secret?” I wore it to school under another layered t-shirt the other day and thought myself rather witty.

At this point, other than me and Wes, only one teacher at school and the guy I talked to today with Blue Cross Blue Shield know I’m pregnant. (And the guy from the insurance company really focused on the whole 48-hours notice thing – does he understand what it means that I’m only 6 4/7 weeks pregnant?) My mom will be here three weeks (at 9 4/7 weeks gestational age) from today, and I’m really excited to share the news with her. I know a lot of women tell their families – especially moms and sisters – right away, but Wes wanted to wait, and I kind of do, too. I want to go to my first appointment, hopefully get an ultrasound to confirm that all is well, and just be a little further along in the first trimester. I’m assuming we’ll tell my sister, at the very least, the same weekend my mom visits because I don’t know how much longer I can keep it a secret from her. It helps that we don’t see each other and just talk on the phone, but we’ve been calling more often recently, and each time I struggle not to say anything. I know she’ll be excited, but given her own delays in getting pregnant, I don’t want to say anything too soon. Wes, despite being pretty excited by the news, doesn’t seem quite as antsy to tell his own family. His brother’s wedding is in July, and Wes had the great idea just to show up 7 months pregnant. I suggested that the bride and groom might not like having a close family member show up that far along and unannounced. We’ll see what ultimately happens.

No comments: