Monday, July 11, 2011

A satisfied customer

Emme is officially eating solids.  We started a few weeks ago with some rice cereal and Stage 1 fruits and vegetables.  She had a little trouble learning to eat from the spoon -- she kept pushing out the food with her tongue--, but she caught on quickly and seemed to really like what she was eating.  After a few weeks of those, I moved her on to Stage 2 blends, which are a little thicker and easier to feed.  I've mixed and matched brands -- some Gerber with DHA, some organic stuff, some of the new blends that come in the squeeze pouches.  My approach with Ollie was just to expose him to as many different flavors as possible in order to get him used to eating a wide variety of foods for later. I don't know if that attributed to his willingness to eat almost anything or his penchant for broccoli and carrots, but it seems reasonable enough to repeat with Emme.  Some of the new organic squeezes include things like rutabaga and parsnips and purple carrots -- things I wouldn't recognize or know how to cook, let alone be likely to serve to a young child.

I know there are new (or actually old) approaches to starting solids that involve waiting until the child is old enough to feed herself and then letting her decide what to eat and how much.  But I haven't had any problems with either kid using the more traditional approach of baby food purees, and hopefully Emme will switch over to actual solids as easily as Oliver did.  I also am not adventurous enough of a cook to expose the kids to as many different kinds of food as are included in the baby foods.  It's pretty easy to tell when she's had enough, so I don't think we're overfeeding her.  The biggest thing I've had to deal with as a result of starting solids is a lot of poopy diapers.  We have definitely not had to resort to prunes with this one.

I'm definitely excited to see Emme try out new foods.  I've given her some banana, avocado, a blueberry, and a blackberry to try -- she's made some really funny faces.  I can hardly believe that she's already eating solids.  She'll be six months old in two days!  Fortunately, I have six more months of breastfeeding (at least) to help me enjoy her babyhood.

No comments: