Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nightmares on Elmwood

Oliver is finally through a rough patch of sleep. Last week one of his teachers mentioned he'd woken up from his nap really upset and practically screaming. The same thing happened at home on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, I took him downstairs to our bed and tried to nap with him for another hour or so. When we finally got up, he was very clingy and didn't want me to put him down. He woke up between 2am and 4am for several nights in a row, too. He was really upset and screaming, and he wouldn't go back down by himself. I rocked him, he would calm down, and when I tried to put him in the crib, he'd immediately start back up and reach for me. He would let me rub his back in the crib, but as soon as I stopped and tried to leave him, he'd start back up. I took him to bed a few times, and in one instance was able then to return him to his crib an hour later. He finally had a normal nap on Tuesday, then slept through the night again that night and last night.

I've read about and heard friends tell about kids having night terrors or nightmares at this age. I hate to think of him going through this, unable to articulate what is upsetting him. I'm glad he's made it through. He's been really clingy with me recently, too. In the afternoons and evenings he'll hug my legs and want picked up. I assumed it was withdrawal from all the attention and holding he got with family here over the holidays, but maybe these nightmares have just left him a little ill at ease and looking for comfort.

Regardless, I am happy that he seems to be doing better, and in all honesty, I did love the chance to rock with him and snuggle in bed a few times. Though it can be exhausting if it happens for long periods, it kind of makes me feel still needed and useful. There's nothing like hearing a baby take those few big breaths after finally calming down from a big cry and feeling him melt to sleep in your arms.

No comments: