Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dear Husband, Part 42

Wes is coming off overnights today. He got home around 9am this morning, played with Oliver, ate breakfast, and watched the finals match of the Australian open (even though he already knew who won). I needed to go do a big grocery shopping trip and had expected to do it in the afternoon after Wes had slept some and could keep Oliver. But I got worried that it was going to be dark by the time Wes was up from sleeping, and I was worried about being on the roads after this snow (which has now melted some and will undoubtedly refreeze tonight). So Wes told me to go ahead.

I didn't get home until around 1:15pm, about an hour and a half after I left. As expected, Wes and Oliver were down for a nap; unexpectedly, they were both asleep in our bed. I opened the door to the bedroom to let Lucy out. Wes awoke, and I saw Oliver asleep on the far side of the bed, right along the edge. Wes seemed to notice where he was and appeared to be moving him when I closed the door.

Another hour or more later, while I was sitting in the living room reading, I started hearing chunks of snow and ice fall off the roof. And then, a few minutes later, I heard a slightly different thud. And then I realized what I'd heard.

I ran to the bedroom but didn't hear anything from Ollie. Wes was rolled over to the other side of the bed, checking him before picking him up to comfort him. I heard Oliver draw in a big long breath to scream, but he quickly calmed down on Wes's chest.

Wes and I never co-slept with Oliver in the bed, partly for this reason. Whereas I can't settle completely with Ollie in the bed, Wes sleeps so soundly that it's almost not safe. I'm not as nervous now, when Oliver is developed enough to move things or sound a protest if he's in distress, but clearly there are other, newer dangers.

No comments: