Monday, May 5, 2008

Childbirth Classes

Wes and I are at the point in the process now when we're looking (I'm looking) for childbirth classes. Our midwife gave us a bunch of pamphlets and printouts at the last appointment for courses and services offered in Chicago -- Bradley, Birthing from Within, Hypnobirthing, and more. I spent a lot of time looking online at the websites for these classes, and while some are pretty informative, none of the sites seemed to provide comprehensive information -- the dates of upcoming courses, a description of the course, and the cost. So I've sent our emails to about half a dozen people asking for the missing information. And six days later, no response. I find it surprising that these businesses -- for ultimately that's what they are -- don't have better information.

The challenge to picking one of these classes, beyond finding out the where, what, and how much, is to decide "how" we want to deliver. I know that we're going to try for a drug-free delivery, but there seem to be so many versions of this. Is the father a "coach" or an active participant with his own needs? Is it better to embrace the pain, manage the pain, or block the pain out altogether? Should you squat or kneel? Should you cry out or be quiet? Here's a tip, folks -- I've never given birth. I have no idea. I think Wes and I find this difficult because not only do we -- more me than him -- not know what to really expect, but we also don't want to be indoctrinated with one way of birthing if it's ultimately not for us. Does someone offer a sampler?

I know, much like with our wedding, that it's the final product that matters. As long as we get a baby in the end, it doesn't really matter how it comes out. At the same time, I am a planner, and I am enjoying my first pregnancy and all the learning that goes with it. I love the pregnancy books, the breastfeeding books, and the prenatal yoga. I know we won't go through all this with subsequent pregnancies, both because we won't need to as much and we won't necessarily have the kind of time we do now. But while I know I can't prepare 100% for what awaits me, I don't see any reason not to prepare as much as I can. If only I could figure out how to do that without taking 5 $300 childbirth classes...

2 comments:

pleximama said...

My completely unsolicited advice is that childbirth classes are unnecessary. No matter how you plan and work on your breathing, in L&D things never quite go as expected. Find a great book, and read it rather than go to a class. I think that we read a book about the Bradley method, liked it, and loosely based our attitude during labor on information we got from the book. I can send my copy to you, if you'd like.

Unknown said...

That wasn't completely unsolicited (though I'll take that, too!). I think Wes and I thought about just using some books and going witih our existing knowledge of the process, but I in particular am nervous I'll end up unprepared and down a route I wouldn't have otherwise tread. I'm definitely up for reading the Bradley book!