Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's only a matter of time

Emme is mobile -- and she's getting into trouble with it, literally and figuratively.  Yesterday, she found the dog bowl.  Fortunately, it was empty of any dog food, but that was her first foray out of the main living room.  She really can crawl quite well now, though she occasionally face plants if her hands slip under her, and she sometimes gets tired after a lot of crawling, especially on the hardwoods, and kind of lays her head down and fusses from all the effort.  We don't need to move the dog bowls or put a gate up at the base of the stairs yet (the prior one that protected Oliver having been irreparably bent when I fell over it twice in my early pregnancy haze), but those will probably happen soon.

Emme also had to have her crib mattress lowered.  She loves her mobile -- I need to video her watching it raptly move around in a circle above her head before she loses interest -- so much so that she recently started reaching up for the animals on it.  Several times I was rinsing out diapers in the bathroom when I heard a clicking some.  It turns out that Emme had "caught" one of the animals and was preventing the mobile from turning, even with the motor running.  That seemed like a bad idea for several reasons, and so she got moved further away from it rather than take it down.  It probably also saves her head from the changing table (that attaches to the top of the crib) when she crawls under it before going to sleep or after waking up.

I know it's really cliched to say that your kid is growing up too fast, and I really didn't feel that way with Oliver.  I sometimes am startled to see the nearly three-year-old he is in front of me and remember him at Emmeline's age, but he seems to have grown up right in line with the time that had passed.  Perhaps it's because I've been so much busier this time around with school and work and no maternity leave, perhaps it's because I've had a second child to keep an eye on during the early baby days, or perhaps it's because she's learning to do things earlier that Ollie did, but I do feel like Emme's little baby days have flown by and she'll be one before I know it or am entirely ready for it.  Regardless, it's still fun watching her learn new things and delight in life.  

No comments: