Ollie had his first dentist's appointment today, and he did really well. We had talked about it all week -- that he was going to the dentist, that he would have to open his mouth up really wide, and that the dentist would put her fingers in his mouth to check his teeth. He was excited when we got there and asked where the toothbrushes were. When we finally went back to the exam room, he got really quiet and nervous looking at the big chair and then laying back in it. I stood by the chair and held his hand for a few minutes (while Emme tried to nurse on my upper arm). The dental technician was great, though, and got him smiling really quickly. He opened up wide like we'd practiced, didn't balk as fingers and tools went in his mouth, and even held and used the suction device himself. The technician and the dentist were happy with his dental care thus far and impressed with how relaxed he ultimately was at not yet three years old. I guess it's not unusual for them to have to sedate patients there, though I'm guessing that's for more involved dental work.
I knew going in that there's not much to be done at this point for his teeth, but I also figured it's a good time to start him getting used to going to the dentist and having cleanings and exams. He was excited to get to daycare afterwards and show his teachers his stickers and tell them about his visit. Here's hoping that subsequent visits go just as smoothly.
I knew going in that there's not much to be done at this point for his teeth, but I also figured it's a good time to start him getting used to going to the dentist and having cleanings and exams. He was excited to get to daycare afterwards and show his teachers his stickers and tell them about his visit. Here's hoping that subsequent visits go just as smoothly.
No comments:
Post a Comment