Sunday, January 23, 2011

Paging Dr. Self

Although we have our fair share of baby stuff, one thing we have never had is a monitor. Our condo in Chicago -- and even our house here in Nashville -- was small enough that it seemed ridiculous to have one. In the house, I can hear Oliver when he fusses or moves around. His waking time -- and the accompanying noise above our heads in his bedroom -- is so regular that we refer to it as the "G alarm," as in, "I don't have to be up at a specified time tomorrow, so I'll just use the G alarm." Yesterday, the alarm -- or the volume or something -- went awry.

Wes and I went to bed at a reasonable hour. I was up every few hours with Emme but sound asleep mid-morning. When we woke up, I was shocked to see that it was 8:30 (as Ollie normally gets up by 7:30am at the latest). I was also confused to hear the house phone making an unusual sound. Not a ring, but something like it. Wes got up and looked, and the it looked like the paging function was being used. I pushed the "End" button and it stopped. The thought crossed my mind that Ollie had the other phone, but a quick check by Wes found his bedroom door closed and nothing obviously out of sorts by the desk in the nook. A few minutes later, I heard Oliver chattering, and Wes went up to get him ready.

He found him, however, standing on the desk with the house phone in hand (evidently, it was him who paged us.  It was also him who, last week, called my cell phone from Wes's phone.  My admonition that Ollie should not play with Wes's cell phone had clearly not been heeded).  He had taken a sheet of smiley stickers and put them all over his pajamas.  Further probing revealed his bedroom rug curled tightly in a roll off to the side of his room, the mat folded neatly on the other side.  He'd also evidently pulled the chairs from the play table in Emme's room up to the dresser and gone through her clothes, throwing a few favorites (least favorites?) on the floor.

We already have a doorknob lock on the door, which Ollie has no learned to use.  I hesitate to "lock" him in his room with anything more secure, but I also worry about what could have and could still happen were he to get out like that again without us hearing.  

No comments: