8pm: Oliver and I arrive home from conferences at school. He's asleep in the stroller. We take the dog out. He gets a clean diaper, pjs, and his sleeping bag. There's a warmed bottle in the diaper bag from school, so I give him those 7 ozs. He won't go down after the bottle, and he nurses for another 15 minutes or so.
9pm: Ollie is down for the night. I pump and wash some bottles and the pump pieces.
10pm: I lay down for bed, read a little, but can't sleep. Was it the caffeine in the iced tea I had with my sandwich at school?
11:30pm: I'm still awake. Oliver stirs and wants to eat. He nurses for 20-30 minutes.
1:30am?? Wes comes home from his 2-midnight shift. He has to work at noon tomorrow, so I'm trying to preserve his sleep.
2am: I've drifted off some after the first nursing session. Ollie is back up and hungry again. Another 20-30 minutes in our favorite nursing chair in the living room.
3:30am: Ollie wakes again. I bring him to bed with me to nurse. He eats for almost half an hour before I put him in the co-sleeper.
4am: Just as I'm about to fall back asleep, I hear the dog walk into the room. Then an annoying chirp. I start to drift off, then another chirp. I walk to the living room and see a red light on our carbon-monoxide detector -- which is just above the heat ducting on our 12-15 ft. ceilings. And since we're city folk right now, we have no ladder. I try to lay down in bed and cover my head with the pillow, but all I can hear is the detector. I get back up and look for a 9 volt battery. AA, AAA, lithium, C, D -- no 9 volt. I go back to the bedroom, grab my jeans, trip over the dog in the bathroom, and tell Wes I'm going to Jewel for a battery. The baby is now also awake and jabbering in the co-sleeper. Wes stops and asks where we might have a 9 volt in use. Ah-hah -- the back-up battery in the alarm clock. Wes puts on his glasses, and we drag the kitchen table and step stool over near the carbon monoxide detector, where he stretches with all his might to reach the darn thing. He successfully replaces the battery. The light is still red, but at least it's not chirping.
5am: We lay back down to bed. Wes falls asleep. The baby does not. I pull him into bed to try and nurse him back to sleep, but he's not hungry. I change his diaper and rock him, but he's not taking to it. I get the stroller out, stick him in, and push him back and forth for a few minutes until he's asleep, then park him next to the bed.
6am: Ollie is awake and fussing. Still in bed and half asleep, I push him back and forth some more and he goes back to sleep.
6:30am: More fussing. More pushing. Tired.
7:45am: The baby is awake for the day -- smiley and jabbering in the stroller. We take the dog out in a break from the downpour we've been experiencing since around midnight. I try and keep him quiet so Wes can sleep, but to no avail. His "talking" gets kinda loud these days.
9am: Wes is awake and chats with the baby briefly before I feed him his cereal and prunes, then nurse. He's obviously tired and getting grumpy.
10am: Ollie is clearly cranky. I rock him, nurse a little more but he's not really interested. He falls asleep and I put him down in the crib, where he immediately awakens. I stick him in the stroller. Wes gets up for work, looks at the baby in the stroller and says, "You're not tired. You're not going to sleep, are you?" Yeah, thanks, hon.
10:30am: Ollie is tired and finally goes to sleep. We both nap until 12:30pm. I'm tired but at least functional. Wes leaves for work. He's sleeping over tonight as he has a (probably illegal) 12-10 turnaround to 6-3 shift, minus one hour for the time change.
It might be time to go back and reread the sleep book. When I got it, he was sleeping 5-7 hours stretches and getting up once or twice a night, and we were just working on naps. Now it seems we are switched around.
No comments:
Post a Comment