Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Out of Town Daddy

Wes left today around noon for his residency retreat in Michigan. He's definitely a bit ancy about being almost two hours away so close to my due date. He's called twice in the last hour just to check in and then to let me know his pager doesn't work out where he is. Were I not pregnant, I doubt we would even talk for the 36 hours he's out of town. In truth, Wes has been particuarly vigilant and a bit on edge the past few days. Last night, I went into the bathroom, turned on the faucet in the tub, and let out a yelp when the shower head sprayed down on me unexpectedly (someone forgot to push the plunger down after his shower). Wes ran into the bathroom at top speed to find out what had happened.

Needless to say, we're both watching and waiting. There's tons of pressure down low, and the kicks have moved down from ribs to the side of my belly. There's still enough movement to know he's doing okay, but it's slowing a bit. Wes put down chux (the blue, waterproof pads they use in the hospital) under the sheets on my side of the bed yesterday -- just in case, I suppose (we do love our mattress). While I'm glad the mattress is protected, it is a bit odd hearing the crinkling when I, with great effort, roll over at night.

The weather here is turning cooler -- 50s and 60s for the past few days, low 70s forecasted for the next several. It's making me run to the baby's dresser to recheck our 0-3 month stash -- all short-sleeved onesies! I guess he'll have to stay wrapped as a baby burrito until he starts fitting into some 3-6 month sweatpants. Fortunately, I have an impressive stash of warm baby blankets for any outings in the car seat or stroller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dig out the footed sleepers. Did you get any of the newborn nightshirts that have long sleeves? Those are great for the first months.