Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reminiscing

Women often talk about how, when they're pregnant, every woman they meet wants to tell them their horror birth story. I've been fortunate in that I've not heard any, save those I already knew about (a friend who hours and hours of unmedicated labor became back labor with an ineffective epidural became a C-section). What has been fun, though, is hearing current moms -- especially older moms -- reminisce about their kids when they were babies. Just today I had two moms at this school share their memories. Csilla brought in a certificate the hospital gave her when her son, Endre, who just started kindergarten, was born, that had his little footprints on it. She was so cute showing them to me and telling me Endre's reaction when she showed them to him recently. Connie, the mother of an almost 21-year-old, was commenting on how amazing it is to realize her kids are grown already. "Where has the time gone?" she asked. "I remember when he was just a baby with these really pudgy, rosy cheeks that you just wanted to pinch."

I love hearing moms talk like this. In the midst of stories about sleepless nights and endless diaper changes and plugged milk ducts, it's nice to know that what moms mostly remember about infancy is the good stuff. It helps to focus on those details as you're going through them, to combat the challenges of the sleepless nights and the endless diaper changes and the...

Update for today: An extra-tight belly with a somewhat quieter baby. Six days left on the ticker.

No comments: