Monday, September 23, 2013

Moving on up

Zola got her "move up" letter at daycare today.  It means that she's ready to move up to the next class, in this case from the infant room to the one-year-old room.  She'll be with Makeda and Anna, who also had Emmeline, and Anna was a teacher in the class Oliver started in with another lead teacher.  They're both lovely women, and they already "borrow" Zola from her current teachers for snack and a little time on the playground.

Zola is definitely ready to move up.  She's walking well, trying to communicate (she signed "please" tonight at dinner and said "more"), and sits up at the table and eat school snacks and lunch.  She'll have to transition to a cot, but other than that, I think it will be an easy transition.  Especially since she already knows and likes the teachers.  The other kids in her current class are all little babies.  Some as young as 8 weeks, but lots of true babies in general.  She needs to be around kids who are a little more advanced in their development to keep moving her along on things like talking.

But I'm glad we started Zola at daycare in the infant room.  We had originally planned to start her in August instead of July and go right for a one-year-old room.  But even as well as she got used to daycare, I think she would have missed a lot by not going to the infant room.  Kendi and Annette are wonderful and really loved on her to help her get used to the center.  They got her using her sippy cup well and even got rid of her pacifier for mid-day naps.  She's very comfortable at daycare now, with any number of teachers (they all come "borrow" her sometimes to carry her around or do her hair; Wes and I say she is the daycare mascot), and I think it's because she felt secure in her own classroom.

One of the things I've loved about the infant room is the long notes they send home about her day.  I think Annette writes a short little blurb, and then Kendi fills the page with all the details.  Here is what we got today:

From Annette, "Today Zola enjoyed outside time riding the boat, playing with pom poms taking them out of a container.  I talked to her about the different sizes of the pom poms and the textures of them.  She also enjoyed playing with the telephone."

From Kendi, "Awesome day!  Full of lovable hugs, laughs, smiles!  Zola and Roy had a good time playing in the treehouse, babbling, giggling to one another and of course squealing.  Too adorable!  Their favorite toys outside are the Pre-K shoes.  She will always go for the pink shoes and carry them to us with that sweet grin.  So adorable!  She played nicely with her friends!  We had children music playing.  She was bouncing up and down to the music, clapping her hands.  Too cute!  We had story time.  I read Whose Baby Is It?, ABC Look At Me, and Farm Animals.  She loves it when we tickle her; then she enjoys tickling the younger babies.  So adorable! Played on the foam blocks and automobiles."

So thankful for a great daycare that has loved and nurtured all three of my kiddos!

No comments: