![]() |
| Zola's bassinet on the flight from Kinsahsa to Brussels |
It's hard now to remember all of the little details that were part of that very long journey home. (Which is, of course, why I wrote so much while I was there. Like childbirth, the details tend to disappear over time.) On Wednesday morning (February 20), our protocol, Simon, picked us up from the procure to take us and our bags to the airline office downtown. This avoids having to haul and check in bags at the actual airport in the evening, which makes everyone's life easier. As it turns out, it also made it possible for us to even leave that night. The airlines were insisting that Zola didn't have a ticket, despite the fact that I could produce a confirmation printout with reference number. They wanted me to the call the travel agency we'd used to book the tickets. I had to explain, to the best of my ability, that it was 4AM in the US and it was...unlikely...that anyone would be available to take my call. Since the airline people kept talking to Simon, who spoke no English, rather than me, I still can't be sure of what happened. I think that the problem was the result of my having a round-trip ticket while Zola had only a one-way ticket. So while she did have a ticket, it wasn't being recognized as valid because an infant lap ticket is only valid when attached to an adult fare. In the end, I paid $30 to someone and it all got worked out. (I didn't know that, though, until we arrived at the airport that night and someone materialized our boarding passes, which meant I spent all day kind of worried we weren't actually leaving.) My attorney told me the trip to the airline office would last about ten minutes, so I didn't have a bottle or anything else for Zola, who became hot, tired, and hungry while there for nearly two hours. I hardly wanted to create a scene at the airline office, so I spent a lot of time swaying back and forth with her in the carrier, which I'd fortunately taken. We were already in our travel clothes since we were checking our bags, and I quickly gave up on any hope of going home "clean." ![]() |
| Zola rocking her bunny shirt at the Brussels airport |
![]() |
| Zola's picture on her visa packet, which went to the customs worker in Newark |
We got into Brussels around 5:30AM, and I had to wake Zola up to get off the flight. I got her cleaned up and changed into warmer clothes, and we worked our way to the gate for our flight to Newark. We had to go through security again and get wanded after we set off the metal detector at the gate. There was, blessedly, a Starbucks, and while Zola slept in the carrier, I drank a mocha, ate a muffin, and read. She woke up as it started to get lighter out, so I found a patch of empty floor, put out her blanket, and let her watch the world go by. She sat and stared at everyone around her, the noisy carts that rolled by, the people talking, those who stopped to say hello to her. We passed several hours this way before we boarded our next flight. We were once again pulled out for an extra security check, but all seemed to be in order and we got on without much delay. We did not have a bulkhead on this flight, but we did have an empty row, which meant I could put Zola down in the seat next to me to nap or play. This flight, unlike the one in the opposite direction, had the full movie selections like the Belgian Airlines flight, so I watched several more movies, ate most of what was served me, and kept Zola happy. I have to say -- I do not think my other kids would have traveled this well at her age. She really did so, so well.
![]() |
| In Newark, waiting for our final flight |
We had a few hours to kill in Newark. I ate a little and chatted with some other people. This was the first place I'd been with Zola that people just came up and asked about her -- very different than being in the DRC or Belgium. There was a dad from Ohio who has an adopted Black daughter who came to say hi, and a grandmother/granddaughter pair sitting across from us at the gate who made chitchat. We also met a US Airlines pilot from Nigeria who'd had problems with security coming back in. I think my favorite moment was when a janitor in the airport stopped to say hello and seemed genuinely confused when he was told that the baby was not the Nigerian man's but mine!
The flight back to Nashville was the worst. They didn't (as on any of my flights) preboard people traveling with children, so we were one of the last ones to get on. This was a puddle jumper, and even though I only had a backpack, it was stuffed full and difficult to maneuver along with the baby to the back of the plane. Then someone was sitting in our seat. Then they'd put me in the wrong seat -- we needed to be somewhere else so we'd have two air masks in the event of an emergency. I think everyone in the back moved around three times for us. The lady next to us was very large and kind of crowded me. And Zola was so, so tired. It was already nighttime for her, and she just needed to sleep. I had to hold her, and the seat became unbelievably uncomfortable by the end of the flight.
We landed a bit early, fortunately, and I will say that I could hardly contain my emotions. I was SO tired. And smelly. I did stop to change Zola into her "coming home" outfit in the bathroom. Which was fortunate since we got in early and the family was running a bit late. I was confused when I didn't see them just outside of security, but when I looked down to the baggage claim area, I saw them all there.
Thirty hours after boarding our first flight in Kinshasa, Zola arrived home. Our family was together. And life as we know it began.




No comments:
Post a Comment