Emme took her first steps today. She's been teetering for days, on the brink, but today we saw definitive steps. Since her last follow-up appointment with the plastic surgeon, we've been able to make the wrap on her foot very thin. I can get a regular sock over it and even a shoe on, though it doesn't fit very well. Since then, she's been standing much better. In the last day, I've seen her stand up in the middle of the floor without pulling up on anything, so I knew she was really close. Because she's not totally steady on her feet yet, I think we'll have a few weeks of a few steps and then falls before she's really up and walking well, but it's just amazing to see this tiny little girl up on her feet. I can tell she's excited, too, and ready to take off running!
We've hit a few more milestones recently, too. She's started signing. She definitely knows "more," kind of signs for "all done," and it starting to learn "food." She says "mama" and "dada," usually with meaning, and has a version of "all done" that I hear now and then. She can drink from a sippy cup, though it's pretty messy. We'll be phasing out the bottle by the end of the week, offering it for a few more days just until she gets completely used to the cup. She's also started drinking cow's milk now, and she seems to like it as much if not more than my break milk. Emme eats "school lunch" now -- they supplement some baby food if she doesn't get enough, and we're basically doing the same thing at home. She eats whole wheat crackers, goldfish, Cheerios, Cheetos, pieces of cheese, peas, carrots, green beans, small pieces of bread. Tonight she had some of the white chicken chili that I made for dinner -- jalapeño and all! It's a very messy process, letting little people learn to feed themselves, but it certainly makes for an easier mealtime. Besides, Emme has always been so independent, she much prefer to feed herself.
I have only a few more days of time with this "baby" as she will be one, and a true toddler, on Friday. With the semester starting tomorrow, it's hard not to think back to a year ago, about to start my classes and still pregnant, wondering when the little one would finally come. I can't help but be nostalgic for those new baby days, but I wouldn't go back if I could -- this past year with her has been so much fun. She is such a happy little girl, full of energy and spunk, and her presence in our family has brought out new sides of Wes and Oliver. I can only imagine what more the next year will bring with her in our lives.
We've hit a few more milestones recently, too. She's started signing. She definitely knows "more," kind of signs for "all done," and it starting to learn "food." She says "mama" and "dada," usually with meaning, and has a version of "all done" that I hear now and then. She can drink from a sippy cup, though it's pretty messy. We'll be phasing out the bottle by the end of the week, offering it for a few more days just until she gets completely used to the cup. She's also started drinking cow's milk now, and she seems to like it as much if not more than my break milk. Emme eats "school lunch" now -- they supplement some baby food if she doesn't get enough, and we're basically doing the same thing at home. She eats whole wheat crackers, goldfish, Cheerios, Cheetos, pieces of cheese, peas, carrots, green beans, small pieces of bread. Tonight she had some of the white chicken chili that I made for dinner -- jalapeño and all! It's a very messy process, letting little people learn to feed themselves, but it certainly makes for an easier mealtime. Besides, Emme has always been so independent, she much prefer to feed herself.
I have only a few more days of time with this "baby" as she will be one, and a true toddler, on Friday. With the semester starting tomorrow, it's hard not to think back to a year ago, about to start my classes and still pregnant, wondering when the little one would finally come. I can't help but be nostalgic for those new baby days, but I wouldn't go back if I could -- this past year with her has been so much fun. She is such a happy little girl, full of energy and spunk, and her presence in our family has brought out new sides of Wes and Oliver. I can only imagine what more the next year will bring with her in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment