Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vaccinated

Ollie and Emme had a pediatrician's appointment today.  This was Oliver's 3-year well-child visit and Emme's 9-month well-child visit, but it just so happened that both have had recent health complications.  Oliver had a red, swollen...boy part last week.  It has since gone away, though Oliver mentioned several times last week that it was "still bothering him."  Wes and I figured he had just picked up the language we had used to ask him if it was, in fact, still bothering him, as there were no symptoms to suggest that anything was still wrong.  But, since he is uncircumcised, we wanted to make sure there were no issues (there weren't).  Emme has been sick for almost a week -- a higher fever that kept her out of daycare last week, followed by a low-grade fever and horrible nights of sleep since Saturday.  So here's what we found out:
  • Oliver can pee in a specimen cup if necessary.  He thought is was hilarious.
  • Ollie is 35 lbs., 4 oz. (80th %tile) and 39" (85th %tile).  The pediatrician thinks he'll be about 6 feet tall.
  • Emme is 17 lbs., 5 oz. (25th %tile -- my little girl!) and 27 5/8" (60th %tile).  Her head circumference is 17 1/8" (up to the 40th %tile -- whew!).
  • Oliver's right ear tube has dislodged and -- shock! -- he has a nasty ear infection in it (with nary a symptom of one).  The doctor pulled a glob of black, nasty earwax out before diagnosing him.  
  • Emme's left ear is infected.  I'm hoping this is an explanation for the persistent low fever and night wakings.  Hoping...hoping.  Both kids are on amoxicillin.
  • Kids don't like shots.  Oliver got his flu vaccine and a PCV booster.  The last time he got a shot, probably around 18 months, he didn't even cry, so I thought he'd be okay.  Wrong.  Cried and cried.  And even more when the nurse realized that the doctor had forgotten to tell her about the PCV booster, which meant Ollie had two separate shots and freak-outs rather than two quick shots in one freak-out.  He calmed down when I mentioned the stickers by the sign-out desk.  He said later -- several times -- "Mom, I don't like shots."  Emme, suffice it to say, also did not enjoy her flu vaccine.  Since she didn't get one last year, she'll get a booster in one month.  Lucky her.
So overall, smart, (mostly) healthy, happy children.  

Wes and I also happen to have gotten our flu vaccine's today.  VUMC had "Flulapalooza," during which time, they vaccinated more than 12,000 Vanderbilt faculty, staff, and students and set a world record for most vaccinations given in an 8-hour period.  I felt a little like a cow being herded, but it was fast, free, and relatively painless.  Here's hoping the vaccines keep us flu-free all winter!

1 comment:

Kimberly O'Connor said...

Hmm. My first comment disappeared. Just saying I hope everyone is better, and love to you all.