Emmeline had her 2 month checkup with her pediatrician yesterday. She is doing great, of course, but it's always nice to get her official measurements. She's grown almost 2 inches since her 4-week appointment, but she's only gained about a pound a half (from 8 lbs. 13 oz. to 10 lbs. 8 oz.), despite her excellent eating. She is around the 80th percentile for length (a highly interpretative measurement with a baby), 40th percentile for weight, and continues to be around the 20th percentile for head circumference. Her pediatrician was very impressed with her neck and shoulder strength. When she saw Emme push her arms and head up when lying on her belly, she commented that was a four-month milestone. Perhaps it's because of her small head or because she can see that she'll have to be strong to survive in house with Oliver, but it's fun to see such a little person trying to be so big. She even likes to stand and push up on her legs when held.
Emme's doctor assured us that the fussy evening period usually peaks between 6 and 9 weeks, but I'm not sure anyone's told Emme that. I did get a swing today (though I'm leaving it in the box and keeping the receipt), so if the troublesome evening period continues, we might try that. She is stretching out her nights more. I've seen a few 5-hour and even one 7-hour sleep stretch. Of course, I'm not always in bed when that happens, but it's a move in the right direction. I also read somewhere and had another mom mention to me that we should try to put her down earlier, like 6 or 7 o'clock, to help her sleep better (though, as Wes pointed out, it's not like we're keeping her up). She sleeps fine once she's down, but helping her settle for that first stretch of sleep has been a real challenge the last few nights. But as they say, this too shall pass -- and all too soon, I dare say.
Emme got her vaccinations yesterday, too. I knew what to expect, having watched Oliver bump her head often enough to evoke her greatest rage. She was pretty easily consoled, though. We did end up giving her some acetaminophen last night, when her crying got even louder than the normal fussing. She's been down for a big long nap today, too, but hasn't been especially cranky. Next appointment with the pediatrician in two months -- and hopefully not before!
*To understand Wes's reference in the title, view this video clip.
Emme's doctor assured us that the fussy evening period usually peaks between 6 and 9 weeks, but I'm not sure anyone's told Emme that. I did get a swing today (though I'm leaving it in the box and keeping the receipt), so if the troublesome evening period continues, we might try that. She is stretching out her nights more. I've seen a few 5-hour and even one 7-hour sleep stretch. Of course, I'm not always in bed when that happens, but it's a move in the right direction. I also read somewhere and had another mom mention to me that we should try to put her down earlier, like 6 or 7 o'clock, to help her sleep better (though, as Wes pointed out, it's not like we're keeping her up). She sleeps fine once she's down, but helping her settle for that first stretch of sleep has been a real challenge the last few nights. But as they say, this too shall pass -- and all too soon, I dare say.
Emme got her vaccinations yesterday, too. I knew what to expect, having watched Oliver bump her head often enough to evoke her greatest rage. She was pretty easily consoled, though. We did end up giving her some acetaminophen last night, when her crying got even louder than the normal fussing. She's been down for a big long nap today, too, but hasn't been especially cranky. Next appointment with the pediatrician in two months -- and hopefully not before!
*To understand Wes's reference in the title, view this video clip.
No comments:
Post a Comment