And the ultrasound tech said, "Girl." I had my 18-week anatomy scan this morning, and in addition to finding out that the baby looks healthy and continues to measure with a due date of January 11 (a few days earlier than by my count), we found out that we will be getting a daughter and Oliver a sister. I've been so looking forward to this day, to knowing whether it's a "she" or a "he." I really was hoping for a girl when I got pregnant with Oliver and had a few moments of disappointment when all my friends found out they were having girls. But I got over it in about 2 seconds because, hey, what's not fun about boys. And he is fun. So fun. And I could not imagine a girl now. This time, I was truly and honestly going to be excited either way. Wes, my sister, and I were all imagining Oliver with a little brother. Wes and I were imagining all the fun we've had with Oliver, his delight in life and great energy. I knew I wanted a girl at some point though, so if it was now, then great. Wes and I both went into the ultrasound thinking -- for no particular reason -- that it was a girl (I'm 2-2 now, having accurately predicted both genders). And my reaction was similar this time to last time. The tech did the whole scan -- checking for parts and vessels and taking measurements and then looked for the gender. Her comments at first -- "I think I already know" and "If it's a boy, it's usually easy to tell at this point" made me think it was indeed a boy. And I had a smile on my face, imagining this new little boy. And then she said, "But you were right. It's a girl." And the smile stayed. As I walked with Wes to the parking lot, I was surprised to feel a little disappointment that it wasn't a boy. I think I said it when I found out with Oliver, too -- it's not that I don't want it to be a girl, but that means it can't be a boy. (And no, I don't wish I were having fraternal boys/girl twins! I'll leave that to friends.) Wes is worried he won't know what to do with a girl. But truly, as long as he wipes from front to back, he need not do anything differently with a girl than he does with his boy. And maybe she will have Oliver's zest for life and great energy and some things all her own. And in the meantime, I get to buy girl clothes.
3 comments:
Congrats! I have always loved that post about what Wes said was fun about boys. And I have lots of clothes I can pass along!
Yay, great news! Congratulations! Now go get some cute baby girl clothes:)
You sure you don't want boy/girl twins? ;-)
Post a Comment