Monday, June 7, 2010

Hey, good lookin'


Last Tuesday was our early ultrasound for the study I’m in.  This ultrasound was my main reason for participating in the study, since my midwife’s office doesn’t do them routinely.  Wes and I both like to see the baby early, to know there’s just one and to see that it is developing normally and in the right place.  I scheduled the ultrasound this time for as close to 8 weeks as they would let me, knowing we should be able to see a heartbeat by then and such. 

I was really nervous the night before and could hardly sleep.  I couldn’t even look at the screen until the tech had pointed out the gestational sac, the fetal poles, and the heartbeat (170bpm!).  I looked then, and suddenly Wes and I went from being very nervous to being very excited. 

I still can’t quite grasp the fact that we’re going to have a baby – another baby – in January, but the excitement is growing and it’s hard to ignore that my belly is, too. 

Oliver is as captivated as ever by babies, but as my mom and sister noticed, it’s usually the baby he sees in doorknobs and spoons and some pictures on the wall.  Funny that he should start to call himself this just as it’s becoming so very obvious that he is no longer one.  

No comments: