A week or more ago I heard one of the parents of a child in Oliver's class talking to Ashli, one of the teachers, about potty training. Ashli said to wait until the child seemed ready but suggested getting a potty and letting the kid sit on it just to learn what it's for. So the next time I was at Target, I got Oliver his very own frog potty. I also got him The Big Potty Book and that seminal work of scatalogy Everybody Poops for, you know, reading material. Since we got it, Oliver has sat on his potty maybe half a dozen times. We're not consistent about it in any way, but he's shown no signs of being ready to potty train, so I'm not pushing it. He definitely likes to sit on the seat that's just his size and look at his books or be read to. Sometimes when he's just in the bathroom with us, he'll sit on the toilet -- backwards -- fully clothed, reading a book -- upside down.
This will be a long process I fear, when it really begins. But for now, I love seeing him sitting on potty with his pants around his ankles, book in hand. Maybe I can win him over with a promise of toilet paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment